Re: [ecasound] White spaces confuse ecasound

Subject: Re: [ecasound] White spaces confuse ecasound
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 23:06:34 EEST

On Tue, 08 May 2001, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, S. Massy wrote:
>
> > White spaces in filenames still seem to confuse ecasound when trying
> > to load them via the IAM. For instance a command line like:
> > $ ecasound -i 'to the sea.mp3' -o:alsa,sbl -c
> > Will work while doing
> > > aio-add-input "to the sea.mp3"
> > will yield:
> > (eca-control) ERROR: ECA-CHAINSETUP: "Format of input "to not recognized."
>
> Hmm, I'm not quite sure how to handle this. In the first case, it's the
> shell interpreter that's doing the parsing (ecasound sees "to the sea.mp3"
> as one arguments .. without the quotes).
>
> So to be able to handle things like quotations, ~-expansions, etc in
> ia-mode and cs-setup files, we'd have to duplicate shell functionality in
> ecasound. Then comes the difficulty of choosing which quotation styles are
> supported, etc, etc ... But it's true that the current situation is a bit
> confusing.

I don't think it is really necessary to bother with quote expansions
and all, it has it's value when using the shell (and perhaps also in a
front-end where variables would be available, pyteca, for example),
but for the IAM... Commands dealing with filenames only deal with one
parameter at a time. Ai/o-add, for instance, only takes one
object/filename to be added at a time. Currently, as I understand it,
the parser only seeks for the first whitespace delimited string and
assumes it to be the filename while silently dropping anything that
might be following. Instead it could scan the whole string given
as argument to the command (maybe just clipping any leading and
trailing white spaces) and assume it is the filename to be used. I
agree that quoting would be nicer but I believe this is a simpler way
of dealing with it, especially since only one filename needs to be
parsed per command in IAM. Does that make any sense?