Re: [ecasound] Digital recording with SBLive and ALSA

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Digital recording with SBLive and ALSA
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Sun May 06 2001 - 17:35:15 EEST

On Sat, 05 May 2001, Nolan Darilek wrote:

> Somewhat related to the recent recording with the SBLive and ALSA
> drivers:
>
> I recently bought a pod pro which has a digital out. Currently I'm
> using an SBLive Value, and am considering purchasing the $30 digital
> addon and running the pod through that. I'm assuming that recording
> from the digital in is no different from recording from the line in as
> I currently do? I.e. is it just a matter of setting a digital control
> on the mixer to be unmuted and capturing? The output from amixer is
> daunting; can someone offer any hints as to which of the digital
> controls I should manipulate? None of them list 'capture' as their
> capabilities, though I do have:
>
> Simple mixer control 'EMU10K1 Digital Volume - ADC Capture',0
> Capabilities: volume
> Playback channels: Front Left Front Right Front Center Rear Left Rear Right Woofer ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
>
> and a few others like that. Is the absence of the digital card the
> reason for the lack of capture? If so, I'd think the control would be
> eliminated from the mixer. Or do I simply set the volume on this
> control in order to capture? I know this isn't directly
> ecasound-related, but hopefully someone can advise me before I
> purchase yet another piece of equipment. :)
I have never used digital I/O's on the SBlive myself but I know for a
fact that it's no easy job. There's been loads of messages related to
that topic on alsa-user, I suggest you spend a while looking through
the archive, I think you could find a lot of useful info related to
SBlive and digital I/O:
http://www.alsa-project.org/archive/alsa-user
If all else fails you can mail on alsa-user, I'm sure they'll have all
the answers. :)

Regards,
S. Massy