Re: [ecasound] Delay Modulation Effects

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Delay Modulation Effects
From: Steve Jones (steve@jonescape.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 05:42:39 EEST

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 05:20:26PM -0400, S. Massy wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Apr 2001, Steve Jones wrote:
>
> > First post here...
> Welcome then.

Thanks

> You can use these presets as starters to experiment or
> refer straight to them using the -pn option.

Good idea. I'll do that.

> > starting args? What's 'variance-time-samples' about? For
> > flanging, aren't the typical delay times in msecs? Would
> I That's equivalent to "depth" on your average flanger
> effect, unless I'm much mistaken. I once made the same
> remark as that param usually being expressed in ms but
> Kai said, and he's right I've found out, that even values
> addressed to the sample scale have effects on the signal.

OK, so this this is some integral number of samples. I check
the effect_presets file for guidance on this one as well.

> > just specify values less than one in this case? I
> believe No, speaking of half a sample for example wouldn't
> make sense.

You've misunderstood me here. I've switched to referring to
the first parameter time-delay-msec. But I feel a little
foolish because I somehow thought it was to be expressed in
milliseconds and my question was how to specifiy msecs, when
msecs is what is actually asked for. So, no problem after
all here I guess.

> > Also, -tl does nothing for me. When used, with increased
> > debug levels, it reports that it's parsed the argument and
> > that looping is enabled. But it just exits after the first
> > iteration.
> Yes, unfortunately -tl will only work if you specify the processing length
> with -t for now. If you wish for example to loop a whole file you would have
> to retrieve the length of it in interactive mode with aio-get-length and then
> on the command line you would do:
> $ ecasound -i:test.wav -o:/dev/dsp -t:[length] -tl

Ahhh...

So looping *is* enabled, but still requires a time value.

> Hope this helps,

Greatly, yes.

Thanks for taking the time to assist in my rudiments (I may
call upon you again 8^).

pax

--
Steve Jones                            <steve@jonescape.com>

PGP: 1A98501A fp: D695 6031 30F5 70E6 975F C876 1956 946C 1A98 501A