[ecasound] Midi

Subject: [ecasound] Midi
From: Anthony Paul Van Groningen (avan@csd.uwm.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 10:09:21 EEST

OK, finally got a new kernel and the latest ecasound (dev) version compiled (phew!) Couple of things:

0) I was trying to be pro alsa when compiling. On my first try I disabled oss support. Compilation failed
in audioio-oss.h. It gave me a couple of syntax errors. i thought this was strange since it shouldn't bother
with any oss files. Re-enabling oss support fixed the problem.

1) I mentioned having some problems with the 'ete' reverb, I was getting a blast of noise at the start of
any wav, usually with large wet values. This is not a problem anymore with the new version.

2) This pertains to a recent question I think. I finally tried the named pipe method of emulating a midi
device. Doesn't work:

[avan@ice_nine avan]$ ecasound -i test.wav -o /dev/dsp -Md:/dev/midi-pipe -km:1,0,300,1,0
* ecasound v1.9dev5 (C) 1997-2001 Kai Vehmanen *
- [ Chainsetup/Adding controller source "MIDI-Controller" ] ----------------
Setting parameters: param-id = 1.00, range-low = 0.00, range-high = 300.00, controller = 1.00, channel =
0.00
- [ Chainsetup/Enabling audio inputs ] -------------------------------------
(eca-audio-objects) Audio object "test.wav", mode "read".
(audio-io) Format: s16_le, channels 2, srate 44100, interleaved.
- [ Chainsetup/Enabling audio outputs ] ------------------------------------
(eca-audio-objects) Audio object "/dev/dsp", mode "write".
(audio-io) Format: s16_le, channels 2, srate 44100, interleaved.

---
ERROR: [ECA-CHAINSETUP] : "Unable to open MIDI-device: rawmidi."

Now I did enable rawmidi in the configure stage. What am I doing wrong here? I also tried

ecasound -i test.wav -o /dev/dsp -Md:rawmidi,/dev/midi-pipe -km:1,0,300,1,0

with the same result. This is all very new to me right now. I dont understand what the -km does.

3) Finally, I'm curious about how other people use ecasound. I see a lot of very advance examples floating about on the list. Personally, I use this as a tool for recording demos from a simple mic. When I get a new soundcard and this midi interface working I'd like to use this to replace my analogue four track. I was thinking we could try to expand the 'examples' page on Kai's site to include other peoples methods. I'm sure everything I want to do has been done by somebody else, so it would be nice not to have to bother the list about it. Newcomers can get up and running more quickly.

Anyway, TIA for the help. Ant.