[ecasound] Resampling

Subject: [ecasound] Resampling
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 05:10:25 EEST

I always used to think that resampling was more noisy when done with
ecasound than with other apps and today I decided to just check to see
whther I was right or not. So I both down and upsampled a file with
ecasound and sox and put them side by side. Here's an example of the
commands I used:
(test.wav is a cd quality file)
$ ecasound -sr:44100 -f:16,2,44100 -i:test.wav -f:16,2,22050 -o:testx.wav
$ sox test.wav -r 22050 testxx.wav resample

Well, I was right it turned out. The file resampled with sox presented
the difference in frequency response you expect from different sample
rates but I doubt the average person would notice that. The file resampled
with ecasound, however, was plagued with an annoying extra noise
which, even though it did not prevent the original signal to be
heard, couldn't fail to attract anybody's attention. Same thing when I
upsampled the same file to 48 KHz. Any idea why it is so? Is there
something I'm not doing correctly?