Re: [ecasound] ecasound 2.0 and beyond

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecasound 2.0 and beyond
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 21:03:39 EET

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

>> Probably easiest way would be to add a ecasound-to-LADSPA wrapper
>> layer. You could for instance load the whole libecasound as one huge
>> LADSPA plugin library. This way all apps supporting LADSPA plugins (including
> I'm keen to give it a shot. If you can point me in the right
> direction. That is a brilliant idea.

Well, basicly you just write a normal LADSPA plugins that just happens to
be linked against libecasound. When implementing the actual processing
routine, ecasound classes are used for the actual implementation.

The tricky parts will be:
        - how to pass the audio data to ecasound effects
          (you have make convertions between ecasound's
          SAMPLE_BUFFER objects and LADSPA's float arrays)
          --> not difficult, but will be a bit inefficient
        - if you don't want to write the wrappers manually, you
          have to use ecasound's object maps and create LADSPA
          plugins from those

But I don't think there's more to it. At least writing simple one effect
wrapper should be straightforward.