Re: [ecasound] Problems with recording

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Problems with recording
From: Remco Poelstra (remco@beryllium.net)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 20:54:01 EET

On di, 20 mrt 2001 09:54:18 Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Remco Poelstra wrote:
>
> > I recorded a song from my md to my computer.
> > I used ecasound -r -i /dev/dsp -o file.wav
> [...]
> > My system was doing nothing and my harddrive could handle it with ease.
> > Still there are glitches in the recording. How is this possible?
> > I've a SB Live! with Asus A7V motherboard and Maxtor harddrive.
>
> Unfortunately this is possible. For instance if your drive is not
> properly
> tuned, or you have a bad kernel version for streaming (some 2.4.0test
> kernels were pretty bad), some write() operations might take so long that
> /dev/dsp buffer overflows... This is a kernel-level problem (disk i/o
> latency), so even raising the priority -r won't help.

Is there any information on tuning my drive?
I've 2.4.0-test11 now, so I'll upgrade to 2.4.2.
Is there anything more I can do to get it running better (except buying
raid or scsi drives).

It works now with -i alsa,0,0 -o file.wav -z:db, but when playing with -i
file.wav -o alsa,0,0 it says at the end: (audioio-alsa2) WARNING! While
writing to ALSA-pcm device C0D0, there were 1 underruns.

But the recording seems to be fine now and that was the most important
thing....

Thanks!

Remco Poelstra