Re: [ecasound] Zombies' revenge

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Zombies' revenge
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 18:26:24 EET

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, S. Massy wrote:

>> Do these happens at random, or if not, can you give a step-by-step example
>> how to produce one? I'm out of zombies it seems.. :)
> Ahh, think I got it! I believe there's a mishandling when using fw/rw
> commands; at least I see a zombie popping up after I issued a fw in ecasound...

Bingo again! ;) This turned out to be more serious than I thought.
In some circumstances, ecasound would fork child processes from one
thread, and later try to kill (and wait for) them from another. So
this was a design-level problem.

I've now made fixes that affect all fork-based audio object types
(mp3, ogg, mikmod, timidity). The good thing is that these are not
random fixes anymore. ;) On the other hand, there are still cases
in which child processes are not properly cleaned. Fortunately this
shouldn't happen very often. And even if zombies are created, init
will take care of them when ecasound exits.