Re: [ecasound] small utils under planning

Subject: Re: [ecasound] small utils under planning
From: ben@slumber.dhs.org
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 07:28:51 EET

> How do you feel about these? Have these little utils like 'ecaconvert',
> 'ecasignalview', etc been of use to you?

I've only really used ecanormalize and ecawave, but they have both been
extremely useful. Oh, one (hopefully) simple but useful feature to add
to ecawave would be a "copy to new" function, which would take the
selection and copy it into a new session. I've found that things like
chopping up beats get very tedious without this.

> My plan is to continue concentrating on use-case specific utils. First in
> line are:
>
> - GUI-based realtime effect processor
> - simple one-window app which reads from /dev/dsp,
> does some effect processing and outputs to /dev/dsp
> - "guitar effect box" concept;
> - best name candidate so far: "ecamegapedal" :)
> - should be easy to implement: just take the
> effects dialog from ecawave .. that's about it, all
> the hard work is already done
> - package: qtecasound

Good idea.. it would be nice to have a record button, so you could just
click 'record' and the output would be tee'd to a specified file. And
maybe a 'record input' to allow adjusting of effects setup later. But
maybe that's too much :)

> - GUI-based equivalent to 'ecasignalview'
> - 'qtsignalview'
> - package: qtecasound
> - GUI-based preset editor
> - for creating effects presets -> .ecp files
> - ecasound-based MixMagic clone
> - package: perhaps separately a'la ecawave
> - name: ecamegamixdown (just joking ;))
> - MIDI i/o monitor
> - ncurses-based utils for monitoring and interpreting
> MIDI-traffic
> - code for MIDI parsing will be added to libecasound,
> so why not use it
> - package: ecatools
> - etc, etc, ...
>
> More ideas, volunteers, etc...? The above utils/apps don't necessarily
> have to be part of any existing ecasound package, and neither have to
> be written in C++ (that's why we have ECI!).

They all sound like good ideas!

ben