Re: [ecasound] ECI documentation

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ECI documentation
From: janne halttunen (jhalttun@pp.htv.fi)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 21:52:03 EET

> > The introduction of 'command_float_arg' made me realize that also
> > ecasound has to parse it's input! I think this aspect of passing info
> > with minimal parsing *both ways* should perhaps still need little
> > tuning. Example:

> -- >8< --
> So there aren't any really expensive tasks in the code path.
> Parsing short string sequences (mostly under 16 bytes) is relatively
> cheap when compared to what the engine is doing (millions of bytes
> processed every second).

    Ok. I just thought that because I have separate arguments in my prog, and you do too in yours, why not, but if it is an ache, no matter.

BTW, a true python way could be something like: scrap the ECI.command(), ECI.command_float_arg() and add:

ECI.apply(command, [args, [keywords]])

where 'args' is a sequence (a tuple), and 'keywords' a dictionary. (both optional)

See built-in apply:
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/built-in-funcs.html

But anyway, this is in no means necessary.

cherries,

jsh