[ecasound] ECI events (was: Re: update: ECI API)

Subject: [ecasound] ECI events (was: Re: update: ECI API)
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 04:43:10 EET

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, S. Massy wrote:

>> Ok, you get the picture. But the important question remains: what kind of
>> events are really needed?
> Well, I would think mainly things akin to errors (or problems): Underruns,
> resynchings, etc. (minor events)....failures, "finish", etc. (major
> events)... Things that are not likely to be expected (or at least of which
> you can't be sure when they happen, but to which you must react shortly and
> efficiently.)

These are unfortunately all difficult to implement. At the moment there's
no way to report about underruns and overruns. OSS API (/dev/dsp) doesn't
provide any mechanism for querying xrun info, and ALSA's APIs have been
changing all the time. With 0.6.x, responsibility for xrun handling is
transfered from drivers to the app-level. Other errors are even more
difficult, as they are usually something totally unexcepted, and you'll
only an event that is delivered whether you want it or not: a core
dump. ;)

Detecting "finished" status is a very important feature, and that's why we
have the "run" command. But coming up with other useful event types is
quite difficult.

 . http://www.eca.cx/aivastus ... [ aivastus net radio ] /\ .