Re: [ecasound] -z:db

Subject: Re: [ecasound] -z:db
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 19:15:54 EET

On Fri, 01 Dec 2000, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> Note! CVS-tree just updated (tested and compiles ok).
>
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, S. Massy wrote:
>
> > -- The issue with the whole buffer being flushed before a new position
> > to be achieved is still there...
>
> This should now be fixed.
Yup, and working now as smooth as a dream! :)

> > -- Once a file has finished playing it is impossible to "setpos 0" and
> > restart, for some reasons.
>
> Another bug. Fixed.
Confirmed again...

> > -- Have you disabled the "overrun warnings" I don't see any of them anymore,
> > even with full debugging messages (-d:255)
>
> I've disabled debug messages I used when writing the initial code.
> With the current code, you will just get one "overrun!" message, and if
> you get this, well you're done. ;)
Must it be a debug version of ecasound to get this message? I use a normal version but with debugging messages turned fully on.

Anyway, I think you have made it, Kai: I just spent half an hour or so
listening to mp3's with ecasound while running bonnie++ (HD
benchmarking) in another console and got NO underrun nor any other
complain! I started with a buffersize of 1024 and then got so bold as
to go with a -b as low as 128 and everything went smoothly. The
only interruption I got was when loading my packages list in dselect;
but I suspect they use SCHED_FIFO there because every time I use it
any streaming goes amiss. (I got a sound interruption but no underrun
message, is it normal given that it's not I/O related?) Al in all it's
very impressive, good work!

Only thing I wish now was better is real time I/O. I have problems
with OSS emulation (static blast and slight lag) and I have
overrun/underrun problems with ALSA devices (coming at irregular
times for no reason). These problems are only present with ecasound;
but as ecasound uses the sound card's capabilities more extensively
that your regular mp3 player it is not really surprising. If this
issue could be fixed I swear I'd had a very stable, low cost,
efficient recording system. :)

S. Massy