Re: [ecasound] Solaris Build

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Solaris Build
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 11:41:33 EET

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Matthew Angell wrote:

> I'm running solaris 2.7 (7), and I am using v1.8.3d15 of ecasound. Still
> no progress. Everything compiles perfectly, ldd reports no missing
> libraries, and then after running

Hmm, this might not be that easy to solve. From your last message...

> Incurred fault #6, FLTBOUNDS %pc = 0xFF167C44
     siginfo: SIGSEGV SEGV_MAPERR addr=0xFFFFFFF8

I suspect FLTBOUNNDS refers to float-bounds. Unfortunately this doesn't
help as much, as ecasound uses floats/doubles a lot, and in all parts of
the program. So I'm afraid you'll just have to try out different things
and see whether they have an effect on the problem. Here's a few
suggestions:

- try the new 1.8.4d15, it contains some solaris-related patches
- compile a separate debug-version of ecasound (ecasound_debug)
  and run this binary under gdb ('gdb ecasound_debug' and then
  once gdb has started: 'r -d:255 --help'. I'd be interested
  to see the output of this (send it to me personally as you'll
  bound to get lots of debug-info) --> see FAQ
- if possible, try different compiler vesrions, and especially
  the C++ library

About the debug-version, from ecasound FAQ:

--cut--
1.2: If ecasound crashes - how to compile for debugging?

The easiest way is to increase debug level (-d:level option). This gives
you a lot of info. Sometimes however, this is not enough. For debugging
purposes, you should compile a separate debug version of ecasound. You can
do this with "make distclean ; ./configure --enable-debug ; make install".
This produces a new set of executables and libraries
(libecasound_debug.so, ecasound_debug, etc). Notice that these are
considerably slower than normal optimized versions. To summarize, if
ecasound acts weirdly, try to reproduce the behaviour with _debug
versions. This way all assertions are checked and extra debugging
information helps to trace problems with gdb.
--cut--