Re: [ecasound] MISC: Of static & Timidity support & Info from MP3 header? & An idea

Subject: Re: [ecasound] MISC: Of static & Timidity support & Info from MP3 header? & An idea
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 19:20:35 EEST

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, S. Massy wrote:
*clip*

> > 4) An idea
> > I like very much ecasound, it's capabilities and the fact that it is
> > fully "tamable" from the console; but there's something that I think
> > could make its text mode more useful: some interactive
> > display. Manipulation of soundfiles and the multiple parameters
>
> Well, this is just waiting for someone to actually do it. All the
> building blocks are already there. The current console-mode ecasound
> already uses ncurses, so adding menus or status windows should be easy. Of
> course it's debatable, whether it would be better to do a separate
> menu-driven ecasound interface, or improve the current interactive mode.
Personally, I do believe that there will always be place for the more "bare bones" interface. I guess you could call this a real-time interactive mode vs. a non-real-time ia-mode, both have their usefulness... well, to me, at least.

> Most of the features you mentioned are actually all implemented in
> qtecasound. So you'd just have to rip the code and use it in the
> menu-driven ecasound frontend.
>
> But, but, who's going to do it, that's the big question. To be honest,
> the new buffering subsystem (which I find very important) will take most
> of my time this year. Second on my todo-list is embedded preset
> parameters (this will be a killer feature). :) And third is the new
> MIDI-subsystem. I have a huge list of todo items I'd like to work on, but
> I won't time for them anytime soon... :(
:( wish I had more time to put in programming myself... But I guess you're right, it's better to focus on the more important parts of it and leave the esthetic ones to go to their own pace.

Here are the two things that I found the most interesting in your todo list, in order:
1) C-api: that would definitely be great to be able to get programs (great or small) to use ecasound's power.
2) interfacing to "interpreted languages" (I'm thinking of PERL here; well, that's the one I know and love.) Here again it would be thrilling to be able to have scripts talking to ecasound, one could do basically anything from that point on.

Just my two cents,
S. Massy