Re: [ecasound] MISC: Of dump-commands

Subject: Re: [ecasound] MISC: Of dump-commands
From: janne halttunen (jhalttun@pp.htv.fi)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 12:55:27 EEST

> parameters could be shown as they change; here are a few examples
> where it could be useful to see the values of some parameters as they
> change:
> - The position in each files. (One does not need all the informations
> given by "aio-status" each time.)

    dump-aio-position gives only selected aio position.

> - The informations yielded by the "-ev" option. (Again, one does not
> always need the complete table; especially if the purpose of the
> application is to adjust the source's volume in real-time to avoid
> clipping.)
> - The status of the engine: running/stopped/finished (especially when
> doing none real-time stuff this time.)

    dump-status does this.

> There are many more and I think it could make ecasound's text mode all
> the more useful and pleasing to use. One thing though, this "feature"
> would have to be toggled on or off because it could be hindering in
> certain situation. Anyway, I don't know what others think of this idea
> or if it would be too troublesome to implement to begin with...

    The dump-commands have been useful in my ecasound-frontend at reducing the parsing of ecasound normal output. You have to, however, to request the dumping, there's no automatic 'when value
changes' dump-objects. I don't know if it would be worth the effort to extend the dump section with commands like: dump-object-add <value-to-dump-when-changed>, or to have multiple dump-targets.

    Depends on you Kai, but I guess at some point it would be easier to go straight to libecasound. How is it going with the C-api? :)

> Well, sorry for keeping you so long, that's what happen when you try
> to kill too many birds with a single stone. :)
>
> Regards,
> S. Massy

jsh