Re: [ecasound] Trying to normalize two channels independently

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Trying to normalize two channels independently
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 01:11:53 EEST

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Andy Loening wrote:

> ecasound \
> -a:1 -i channel_1.wav \
> -a:2 -i channel_2.wav -erc:1,2 \
> -a:1,2 -f:s16_le,2,48000 -o new.wav
[...]
> When I try to run this command, however, I get a coredump. The output of
> ecasound is as follows:

Ok, this is a bit messy one. First of all, the above command is correct,
but not necessarily what you want. Problem here is that if you haven't
touched your ~/.ecasoundrc, the result of the above command is that your
data is resample twice. This is because ecasound converts all input data
to its internal format (default sample rate is 44100) before any
processing. So you either need to add a -sr:48000 to the command
line, or change the default in ~/.ecasoundrc.

But it was very good that you reported this, as it helped me to find _two_
bugs. The first one was that -sr options has apparently been broken since
1.8.3d15. The second bug was in ecasound's resampling routines (caused the
core dump). Both are now fixed and in the CVS-tree.

 . http://www.eca.cx/aivastus ... [ aivastus net radio ] /\ .