Re: [ecasound] confusing error message

Subject: Re: [ecasound] confusing error message
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 21:28:38 EEST

On 3 Sep 2000, Laura Conrad wrote:

> ecasound -i /dev/dsp -o di.wav
> when di.wav already exists, I get:
[...]
> ERROR: [AUDIOIO-WAVE] : "no riff fmt-block found"
[...]
> Is there a way to write this message so that it would be less
> confusing to the new user?

I admit that there's lot to improve in ecasound's error messages. But it
isn't always easy to give helpful feedback to the user. For instance, in
the above situation, ecasound tries to open a riff-wave file in read-write
mode (this is completely normal), but it turns out that the file is
invalid. Because of this, ecasound reports what part of the riff-wav
causes trouble. Specifying an existing file as ecasound's output is a
complete normal situation.

... I guess a more verbose error message would be "Invalid riff-wav file
xxx (no fmt block found)".

 . http://www.eca.cx/aivastus ... [ aivastus net radio ] /\ .