Re: [ecasound] Multitrack recording with Midiman Delta 44

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Multitrack recording with Midiman Delta 44
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 19:13:55 EEST

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Joshua Horvath wrote:

>> ecasound -f:32,10,44100 -i:alsa,1,0 -f:32,10,44100 -o:10ch-file.wav
> This doesn't work for me. I still get a "Channel count 10 is out of range!" error.

Ok, try bigger numbers. If I remember right, some Midiman cards had 12
inputs and 10 outputs. The point is that you have to specify the exact
channel count supported by your hardware. This is a ALSA 0.5.x feature. So
something like "ecasound -f:32,12,44100 -i:alsa,1,0 ...".

You can check ALSA device capabilities with 'pcmtest'. You'll find it in
'alsa-lib/test' directory.

> Stereo wav playback works fine, though. If I wanted to playback one mono wav per
> channel, how would I do that? Do I need to first mix the 4 tracks into a single
> 4-channel wav?

Well, this is possible (using the channel-copy effect (-erc)), but isn't
very efficient. As ALSA 0.6.x will offer a cleaner solution, adding
similar routines to ecasound doesn't seem worth it.

 . http://www.eca.cx/aivastus ... [ aivastus net radio ] /\ .