Re: [ecasound] The recording process.

Subject: Re: [ecasound] The recording process.
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 00:33:07 EEST

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, P Shirkey wrote:

> I had ecasound recording with .8r12 but it looped everything. I didn't
> even specify -tl. I recorded from mp3 and cd. It worked although it
> took a while before it was actually available to listen to. Nothing
> was longer than 5 minutes so not like there was excessive amounts of
> memory involved. I have 192MB ram, 350MB swap and a 800MB partition.

This definitely sounds like a hardware/configuration problem. As
ecasound records direct-to-disk, memory isn't a problem.

1. Have you tried different sample formats?

ecasound -f:16,2,44100 -i /dev/dsp -o test.wav
ecasound -f:16,1,44100 -i /dev/dsp -o test.wav
ecasound -f:8,2,44100 -i /dev/dsp -o test.wav
ecasound -f:8,1,44100 -i /dev/dsp -o test.wav
[... etc]

2. Check the interrupts stats (issue 'cat /proc/interrupts'). You
   should see the interrupt counter for your soundcard increase
   while recording.

3. Check the Linux Audio Quality HOWTO at
   http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/quality/
   ... there're lots of good tips.

> In .8r12 I also couldn't use the -a command. I tried it out with mp3's
> that worked as single inputs. Sorry I can't remember the reasons that
> were given. And, thinking back it could have been simple op error. I
> have learnt some things that I didn't know last week.

Hmm, this seems to be a problem when using ecasound with Mandrake
(ncurses-5 for some reason causes problems).

> I have been using grip for quite a while on this system Mandrake 7.1,
> 2.2.16, oss, maestro sndcard. It works perfectly well with no errors.
> One thing that might be causing problems with ecasound. When I boot I

Hmm, as far as I know (I haven't tried it myself), grip uses cdparanoia
and cdda2wav. This means that grip doesn't use the soundcard at all. It
rips the audio data directly from the CD (digital copy), instead
of recording the audio output of the cdrom. ... or we are talking about
a different program. ;)

--
Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux .. http://www.eca.cx 		 .