[ecasound] development plans

Subject: [ecasound] development plans
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 01:08:43 EEST

First of all, I've been quite busy lately, and have had very little time
for reading and writing my personal mail. Sorry about this. But no worry,
no ecasound related mail will be ignored. :)

Luckily my tight schedule doesn't really affect ecasound development.
During the last few years, almost all ecasound design has been done with
pen and paper, so nothing new here. :) During the last few days I've spent
a lot of time thinking about qtecasound.

So far, qtecasound's design has been quite a shaky one. There has been
lots of open questions - what it should do, should it be designed for
certain use-cases, easy-to-use or generic, etc etc...

Now I think I've reached some kind of a plan. First I'll release the last
1.7.x version (1.7.8r11). It'll contain a few important bug fixes and a
couple of new features (gcc 2.95.x fix, LADSPA issues, Stefan's reverb)...
After that, I'll start to work on 1.8.x. The new qtecasound won't
necessarily be easy-to-use, but it will be more usable. I don't want to
compete with use-case centered tools like eco, gteca, gdam, mixmagic and
others. And to be honest, I don't think I even could compete with them. If
I started to write the ultimate app for all audio related work (mixing,
recording, realtime-fx, conversions, etc), I'd end up writing another MS
Office. ;) On the other hand, I do want to take advantage of ecasound's
functionality. Qtecasound has to offer something that others don't...

Another important development goal is co-operation with other open-source
projects. Competing with big commercial win/mac audio apps is quite a
task. This is why co-operation is extremely important. As you have
probably already noticed, this has been my aim for a long time. Ecasound
already uses lots of open-source resources: LADSPA, OSS, ALSA, mpg123,
lame, mikmod, audiofile. This is good, but I want to go further. Editors
like snd, soft synths, sequencers, streaming software, scripting
languages, etc, etc ... there's lots of it out there. If you have good
ideas of what programs, and how ecasound could be used with them, please,
share your ideas!

I guess that's about it for now. Back to emacs... ;)

--
Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux .. http://www.eca.cx 		 .