Re: Fw: [ecasound] error

Subject: Re: Fw: [ecasound] error
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 23:44:10 EEST

On Tue, 23 May 2000, I'm Your Handiman -Online- wrote:

>> It sounds like it is a failure in OSS not properly doing FDX support. My
> i have turtlebeach montego II quadzilla card..only thingso far no support
> with is smp ( whatever that is ) and A3d--positional surround sound
> everything is works fine including supposedly full-duplex...........

Unfortunately this isn't necessarily enough for using full-duplex with
ecasound. There are quite a few different ways to implement full-duplex.

One is "multiopen", where single device (/dev/dsp) can be opened once
for reading and once for writing.

Another approach is to have separate devices: /dev/dsp0 for playback,
and /dev/dsp1 for recording.

The third approach, where application has to open the device in readwrite
mode, doesn't work with ecasound. From ecasound's point of view, outputs
and inputs are totally independent devices, and thus they don't need to
know each other. What if you want to use one application for
playback, and other one for recording... yep, problems.

With ALSA, you don't have these problems, as ALSA API clearly separates
playback and record(/capture) channels.

--
Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux .. http://www.eca.cx 		 .