Re: [ecasound] 0.6 changes -- thoughts?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] 0.6 changes -- thoughts?
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 01:32:22 EEST

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Jeremy Hall wrote:

> I have looked at the new API, and the plugin code seems to have radically
> It appears the only difference now in opening a plugin is calling
> SND_PCM_PLUG_OPEN_SUBDEVICE rather than SND_PCM_OPEN_SUBDEVICE. I am sure

Hmm, I took a quick look at the new API and there's still some
snd_pcm_plug_* routines (not the old snd_pcm_plugin_* routines).

> there are more plugin changes that I am not aware, but perhaps we could
> make an ALSA class that ALSA_PCM2_DEVICE and ALSA_PCM2_PLUGIN_DEVICE could
> share common bits from.

Hmm, if the differences really aren't that big, these could be combined.
As I'd like to keep all 1.7.x versions binary compatible with 1.7.7, this
would have to be done by adding a new class for 0.6.x ALSA devices.
Possibly a common ALSA_PCM_BASE class, which in inherited by
ALSA_PCM_DIRECT and ALSA_PCM_PLUGIN.

> oh, I haven't looked at the loopback api yet. I *THINK* I have gotten the
> PCM working.

Ok, hopefully the lb-API is still around. Anyway, I wouldn't be suprised
if there were more API changes before first 0.6.x release. Jaroslav and
Abramo have been busy changing things... ;)

--
Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux .. http://www.eca.cx 		 .