Re: [ecasound] WHAT! ECASOUND BLOCKS ON NO INPUT

Subject: Re: [ecasound] WHAT! ECASOUND BLOCKS ON NO INPUT
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 05:26:06 EEST

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Jeremy Hall wrote:

> ecasound blocks on read when there is no data on a channel. this is a
> serious bug that needs to be looked at.

Hmm, well actually this is a feature. Ecasound opens all inputs and
outputs in blocking mode. In other words, when ecasound reads from input,
the next input (or chain) isn't processed until ecasound...
        a) gets the requested bytes
        b) end-of-file has been reached
        c) there's an error

Fundamental idea behind this design is that all inputs are somehow
related to each other. The above mechamism ensures that all inputs
will stay in sync with each other.

This design doesn't suit well for situations, where inputs are separate
signal sources (ecasound is used as a kind of esd replacement). I'm not
sure whether it's possible to come up with a design that fits both these
situations... In the latter case, it might be better to use multiple
ecasound instances, and connect them using ALSA loopback or esd. In the
future, it might be possible to route signal streams using the aRts
daemon.

--
Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux ...	http://www.eca.cx 		 .