[ecasound] BACKAUTH.bmp

Subject: [ecasound] BACKAUTH.bmp
From: boudris (boudris@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 04:26:26 EET

At 12:12 рм 24/2/2000 -0800, you wrote:
Greetings,

I have a few ecasound-related questions/problems:

1.  Is it possible from within ecasound to direct the left channel from
a sound card device to one file, and the right channel to another
file?   Thereby resulting in two mono sound files.  I suppose this is
driver dependent...    Currently it seems like the -f option can only
specify mono or stereo (-f:16,1,44100 or -f:16,2,44100).   Can we choose
which channel is used for mono?  (eg. a future planned feature)

2.  I am having a lot of trouble getting clean tracks when multitracking
(e.g., playing 2 or three sound files, and recording another from a
sound card).  There appear a lot of clicks and pops during the tracks
even though the first 20-30 seconds may sound perfect.  Sometimes I
don't hear any problems during the actually tracking (recording) and the
problem only comes up when I play all the tracks back.  I am setting a
buffer of 64 (-b:64) during recording and 1024 during playback.  There
don't appear to be any timing problems.  My question is:  does this
sound like a buffer issue or is there some other problem (e.g., not
enough CPU power available)?  My machine is a PII/350MHz/128MB with RH
Linux 6.1.   Does encoding mp3's on the fly with lame (or decodeing with
mpg123) use up more of the CPU than just using wav files?

3.  I am very interested in being able to loop one chain (e.g., playback
4 sec of a sound file over and over) while other chains keep playing
straight through.   eg, have a two bar drum loop and record guitar or
vocals over it.   I don't think this is now possible with the -t and -tl
options or loop devices.  Are there plans for such a feature?

Thanks,

Neil

P.S.  Sorry that this is so many questions at once.  Next time I'll do
one question at a time.