[ecasound] the -ev option in ecasound

Subject: [ecasound] the -ev option in ecasound
From: Christopher Taylor (cstaylor@thedial.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 22:39:41 EET

First of all, thanks for creating such a cool tool. I just recently
discovered ecasound and before that I had been doing batch processing
using SoundForge in Windows...

In the man page for ecasound it states the following...
       -ev Analyze sample data to find out how much the signal
              can be amplified without clipping. The resulting
              percent value can be used as a parameter to -ea and
              -eas effects. Also prints a statistics table con-
              taining info about stereo-image and how different
              sample values are used.

Well, I've spent a couple of hours looking at examples and trying things
and I don't see how I can use the -ev option to use the resulting percent
value as a parameter to -eas. How would that be done?

Now, if some helpful soul wants to go a step beyond answering that
question, here is what I want to accomplish and also, how I had inteded to
accomplish it...

I would like to rip my entire CD collection and encode it into mp3 format,
but I want to insure that the levels are the same. I already have my entire
CD collection in mp3, but I really hate it when the levels are so different
that I have to constantly adjust the volume on my PC.

My solution: pipe everything through compression and normalization filters.
Is this the correct approach? Any help on this process and how it can be
accomplished with ecasound is greatly appreciated. I noticed that there the
ecatools_normalize tool exists for normalization, but it seems to me that a
simple normalization step isn't going to assure consistent levels. I
believe a compression step is necessary to acomplish consistent levels...

Thanks,

CT

--
Christopher Taylor <chris@thedial.com>  theDial