Re: [ecasound] a new gate

Subject: Re: [ecasound] a new gate
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 15:46:25 EET

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Jeremy Hall wrote:

> What we need is a new kind of gate. or an extention to enm that allows not
> only the signal to be unmuted, but also that other things could be done

I've thought about this many times, but it has been really hard to
come up with a good, generic model for implementing these. Here's
a few possible scenarios:

- every chain has a slot for gates
        => open: chain enabled
        => closed: chain muted
- or the same thing, but...
        => closed: chain bypassed
- every chain operator has a slot for gates
        => open: chainop used for processing
        => closed: chainop bypassed

These are the most obvious solutions. However, the hard part is to
come up with a decent user-interface, and to add these without
a performance loss to other ecasound functionality. Especially
the third option (chainop gates), will cause performance problems.
Any other ideas?

> is muted and possibly an external program is called that could do
> something useful like page a person and encode some audio (for say a
> security system)

Hmm, this should be handled in an external program. Hopefully
my ecawave project has proven, that using libecasound is not
that difficult. Couple of hundred lines of code, and you'll
have a program that can handle the above job. Of course, I'll
had to add better gate support before this is possible.

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing