Re: [ecasound] re: qtecasound not compiling

Subject: Re: [ecasound] re: qtecasound not compiling
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 02:55:02 EET

On Sun, 2 Jan 2000, Vadim Tkachenko wrote:

>>> not possible to configure and make ecasound not as root, why?
>> that's pretty much it. Hmm, what's causing problems?
> Nothing except the funny fact that 'make all' tries to do the thing that
> belongs to 'make install'. I'll look into that further, I don't get the
> reason for such behavior so far.

Oh that one. The problem is libtool related. Libtool is a great tool,
but inter-library depencies and C++ libraries cause much trouble. And
ecasound has both. libecasound is linked to libkvutils, while ecasound,
qtecasound and ecatools are linked to both of them. I've tried many
combinations and the only working one was to install kvutils before
compiling other parts of ecasound package (forced 'make install'
solved this). Of course the easiest solution would have been to
distribute a separate kvutils package, but I don't think people want
to download n+1 different packages.

Today I managed to get 1.6.10d10 to compile without forced 'make install'.
I'll release it later today. Everything looks to work ok now. It's quite
a autoconf/automake/libtool mess, but at least it works.

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux audio processing