Re: [ecasound] re: qtecasound not compiling

Subject: Re: [ecasound] re: qtecasound not compiling
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2000 - 03:55:19 EET

On Sun, 2 Jan 2000, Vadim Tkachenko wrote:

>> ...this just checks whether libqt exists (normal library paths). But
>> I admit that this is not the best way to check for qt...
> Since I know now that there *is* main() in libqt, the simpler thing will
> be just AC_HAVE_LIB ;)

Ah, but referring to autoconf's manual: "This (AC_HAVE_LIB) macro is
considered obsolete." ;)

[/path/to/generic_oscillators]
>> Check your ~/.ecasoundrc ... nowadays defaults to /usr/local/share/ecasound ...
> I've built the latest stable one, and nevertheless it hasn't installed
> it, but tried to use it. Although, I might have goofed with RPM/tarball

Hmm, I suspect that your ~/.ecasoundrc was created by some older
ecasound version (it's not part of the distribution). Just delete
it and ecasound will create a new one the next time you use it (with
up-to-date defaults). I've tried to avoid changes to ecasoundrc fields
to prevent this kind of confusion, but /etc/ecasound ->
/usr/local/share/ecasound was unavoidable.

> Another question (I'm checking that right now), it seems to me that it's
> not possible to configure and make ecasound not as root, why?

Well, no particular reason. I use ecasound as a root myself and, well,
that's pretty much it. Hmm, what's causing problems?

> Actually, the reason AC_CHECK_LIB... for qt was failing was twofold:
> first of all, the check was invoked *BEFORE* AC_PATH_QT_2, and second,
> AC_PATH_QT_2 wasn't setting the LDFLAGS, but QT_LDFLAGS instead. Do you
> really need two sets of INCLUDES and LDFLAGS?

No, actually AC_PATH_QT_2 (this is a rather recent addition) makes
AC_CHECK_LIB unnecessary. Makefiles use environment variables set by
AC_PATH_QT_2 directly ($all_libraries, $all_headers).

>> Well, I really want to do this, but unfortunately I just haven't had
>> the time. Currently most of my free time goes to developing ecawave
> Takes 15 minutes, including making coffee ;)

Yes, I guess you're right. If I had a 24h net connection, I would have
probably already done it. My current a 14.4k modem connection is
really slowing down my net projects...;) Oh well, I'll ask SEUL people
about the CVS.

> Now, here's a patch, feel free to do whatever you want with it (it's
> against 1.6.9r9):

Thanks, this is more user-friendly. And as I mentioned before,
AC_CHECK_LIB is now obsolete ...

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux audio processing