Re: [ecasound] CVS availability / contributing

Subject: Re: [ecasound] CVS availability / contributing
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Fri Sep 03 1999 - 19:13:08 EEST

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Vadim Tkachenko wrote:

> - Dramatical acceleration in the parallel development, if you ever get
> to that point. I'd say that this subject has a very high entry treshold,
> and the amount of code is impressive (it took time comparable to the
> kernel compilation on my box), so the easier to jump in and watch the
> live development, the better for the project.

I guess it's best that I'll continue to develop the core parts of
ecasound. On the other hand, writing new audio io-device/file-format
classes, effects and controller sources should be easy as all you have
to care about is the appropriate virtual base class (AUDIO_IO_DEVICE,
AUDIOFX_BASE or CONTROLLER_SOURCE).

Writing a new user interface is even easier as you can now use ecasound's
engine by linking your program to libecasound library. All
programs in the ecasound (1.5.x) dist-package (ecasound, qtecasound,
ecatools_*) are already built this way. There isn't much documentation
yet... partly because the library interface may still need some
changes, but I'll start to work on it sooner or later...

> - Much easier to keep track of the status. Now, you have to re-download
> everything, then you will have to 'cvs update' and that's it.

This is a good point. I'll put cvs on my todo-list...

--
Kai Vehmanen ----------------------------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 : email                                 mailto:kaiv@wakkanet.fi